Blog the Change: Clear Path for Veterans

Situated on picturesque land overlooking some of the most gorgeous parts of central New York State is Eagle Ridge, home to Clear Path for Veterans and their Dogs to Vets program.

Dogs to Vets exists to help veterans with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), military sexual trauma (MST), and/or traumatic brain injury (TBI) by pairing them with a dog that they learn to train to become their service dog. Most of the dogs enlisted in the program come from local shelters. The dogs get a second chance at life and get an opportunity to make life easier for one of our servicemen or women. Unlike many service dog programs, the dogs are not trained first and then paired with a veteran. Instead, the veteran is in charge of learning how to train their own dog.

Callie, one of the young pups who was donated to the Dogs to Vets program. I've been working with her on her basic obedience skills and controling her enthusiasm. Hopefully, she'll be paired with a veteran soon.

Clear Path has not been around very long; they got started earlier this year. I have been a volunteer dog trainer with them since February and it’s been incredible. 🙂

If you’re interested in learning more about the program and how you can help, check out their website at Clear Path for Veterans.

Blog the Change

About Jamie

I'm just a traditionally-trained artist with interests in dog training. I currently teach classes at the local obedience training club (tricks, freestyle, and Rally-FrEe) and I also teach classes professionally for an organization who helps veterans train their own service dogs.
This entry was posted in Causes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Blog the Change: Clear Path for Veterans

1. Tena says:

Yayy Jamie! It’s a great cause to highlight! So glad you’ve been able to become involved with them… hopefully good things are on the horizon for you through this organization!

oh, and Hi Callie!

2. Tucker's Mom says:

Thank you for making us aware of this amazing organization.

3. Kim Thomas says:

What a fantastic program! Love, love, love this idea! Bet you’re very proud to be part of something so positive and forward-thinking. Kudos to you and thanks for all your work with it. Best wishes on further success – for all involved.

Thank you for blogging the change for animals!
    Kim Thomas
    BtC4Animals.com
    CindyLusMuse.blogspot.com

4. Pip says:

Wow, this sounds like an amazing program – for both veterans and dogs. There is nothing like the devotion of a dog to help sooth and heal. Thanks for sharing this wonderful program!

5. Jamie says:

I’m glad I was able to participate in the Blog for Change again. I missed it the last quarter.

Thanks for creating such a wonderful way to get the word out about such amazing organizations.

6. Kim Clune says:

What an exciting and worthwhile new program! Kudos to you for becoming involved and for spreading the word.

I love that veterans are involved with the training of their own dogs. People sometimes require just as much guidance to work with animals as dogs do with people. What a wonderful opportunity for whole-hearted bonding. I’ll bet the success rates skyrocket using this approach!

All the best to you, the organization, the veterans and the dogs.
    Kim Clune
    BTC4animals.com
    ThisOneWildLife.com

7. chandra says:

Thank you for introducing me to Clear Path For Veterans. I love that the veterans are key in their dog’s training. I will be sharing this program with friends!

-Chandra at Daley’s Dog Years